New Delhi, September 27, 2017: The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the enhancement of age of superannuation of doctors other than Central Health Service (CHS) doctors to 65 years in the following manner:
- Ex-post facto approval to enhance the superannuation age of doctors of Indian Railways Medical Service to 65 years.
- Ex-post facto approval to enhance the superannuation age to 65 years for doctors working in Central Universities and IITs (Autonomous Bodies) under Department of Higher Education and doctors in Major Port Trusts (Autonomous Bodies) under Ministry of Shipping.
iii. The superannuation age has been enhanced to 65 years in respect of doctors under their administrative control of the respective Ministries/Departments [M/o of AYUSH (AYUSH Doctors), Department of Defence (civilian doctors under Directorate General of Armed Forces Medical Service), Department of Defence Production (Indian Ordnance Factories Health Service Medical Officers), Dental Doctors under D/o Health & Family Welfare, Dental doctors under Ministry of Railways and of doctors working in Higher Education and Technical Institutions under Department of Higher Education].
- The Union Cabinet has further approved that doctors shall hold the administrative posts till the date of attaining the age of 62 years and thereafter their services shall be placed in Non-Administrative positions.
The decision would help in better patient care, proper academic activities in Medical colleges as also in effective implementation of National Health Programmes for delivery of health care services.
Around 1445 doctors of various Ministries/Departments of the Central Government would be benefitted.
The decision will not have much financial implications as large number of posts are lying vacant and the present incumbents would continue to work in their existing capacity against sanctioned posts.
- The age of superannuation of doctors of Central Health Service was enhanced to 65 years w.e.f 31st May, 2016.
- The doctors other than Central Health Service including doctors of other systems of Medicine of Central Government requested for enhancement of age of superannuation on the ground of parity with CHS and shortage.