New Delhi, October 28, 2019 :
- The most common cause of sudden cardiac death in patients younger than 35 years with structurally normal heart is a fatal arrhythmia.
- In athletes younger than 35 years of age, structural heart disease (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, anomalous origin of a coronary artery, arrhythmogenic right/left ventricular cardiomyopathy) is a common cause of sudden cardiac death.
- Nonpreserved ejection fraction (EF) systolic heart failure (EF less than 35%) is a common cause of sudden cardiac arrest.
- First-degree relatives of young sudden cardiac death victims, particularly those younger than 35, should be screened.
- Consider ICD (Internal ICU or internal cardiac shock machine) in all patients with left heart pumping less than 35%.
- In sudden cardiac death continue excellent chest compression for up to 35 minutes as needed.
Auhtor : Dr K K Aggarwal , Padma Shri Awardee