New Delhi, Novemeber 7, 2019:
The air quality in Delhi-NCR has improved, but, we cannot ‘breathe’ a sigh of relief yet, as the AQI remains in the “very unhealthy” category.
Here are few tips on how you can protect yourself from air pollution.
- Keep the nose (nasal passages) wet; use saline nasal drops. These not only moisturize the nose but also clean out any dust particles, pollen.
- If eyes are burning, use artificial tear drops or wash your eyes with clean plain water or with triphala water.
- Use anti-pollution masks to reduce particulate matter
- The air conditioner will reduce pollution levels only if it is recirculating and has a HEPA filter.
- Use air purifiers at home.
But do remember that you can only reduce your exposure or risk by using mask or a purifier, but you cannot prevent it completely.
The government has the responsibility to reduce the costs of purifiers and masks and make them available at Mohalla Clinics and Jan Aushadhi Kendras under price control. This should be done immediately on priority so that the general public can use them under the prevailing conditions of high pollution levels.