New Delhi, March 24, 2017: After a series of happenings today by IMA (HQs) at national level and IMA Maharashtra State branch at State Level, the IMA protest against assault on doctors at multiple places, especially in Maharashtra was called off.
Giving details, Padma Shri Awardee, Dr K K Aggarwal, National President and Dr R N Tandon, Hony. Secretary General, IMA, in a statement, said that IMA HQs spoke to the Hon’ble Health Minister, Shri J P Naddaji who assured that instructions have been given at national level to all the states to strengthen the security at all hospitals. He also spoke and raised this issue in the Parliament and said that issues raised by the doctors will be taken on priority. He also Tweeted the same.
IMA Maharashtra also had a meeting with Shri Devendra Fadnavis, Chief Minister of Maharashtra, lasting for an hour, who said that all the problems faced by the doctors will be sorted out within 15 days. The meeting was attended by the Hon’ble Minister of Health, Hon’ble Minister of Home and Hon’ble Minister of Medical Education of Government of Maharashtra and the leaders of IMA Maharashtra like Dr. Ashok Tambe, Dr. Parthiv Sanghvi, Dr Shiv Kumar Utture, and Dr. Anil Pachnekar of Maharashtra State Branch, IMA. The matter was also raised in the Maharashtra Assembly.
Following has been agreed :
- 700 armed security from Maharashtra Police Security Corporation will be appointed within 5 days and rest (Total 1100) within 15 days, will be appointed. Mr. Pravin Dixit EX- DIG committee would do security audit of all Medical Colleges and Hospitals and submit their report.
- Interim security measures would be put in place immediately. Supt. of police have been instructed to post armed police force in all Medical Colleges immediately. Convert all Medico Legal Cases Police Chowkey’s to FIR recording Chowkey’s in all Hospitals.
- All legal help for cross complaints against doctors in Assault cases will be the responsibility of the Government. All medical help free of cost to assaulted doctor (including in private hospitals) shall be borne by Government.
- Security Samiti with 3 Resident members will be appointed in every Medical Hospital.
- Alarm system to be immediately put in place.
- Pass system for patient’s relatives to be immediately started.
- Regular 3 monthly security report to be submitted by every Hospital.
- Doctors Protection Act 2010 which has provision of arrest for 3 years which seems to be inadequate shall be amended to minimum 7 years jail term (so that bail will not be given easily).
- Resident would be granted 2 months paid leave during delivery and if they suffer from tuberculosis.
- No punitive action to be taken against Residents if they join work immediately.
IMA also appealed to MARD to call of their strike.
IMA will be having its next Action Committee Meeting on 1st April, 2017 at New Delhi where various ways to prevent such types of assaults on doctors will be discussed